Healthy Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- 2 large Haas avocados, cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2-4 tbsp organic evaporated cane juice or organic sugar, available in health food stores (optional)
- 2 tbsp Omega Nutrition coconut oil, available in health food stores (optional)
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
- shaved dark chocolate (optional)
Place first seven ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Sift cocoa powder with a metal strainer to remove lumps, then add to avocado mixture and blend until smooth. At this point you can refrigerate in a tightly sealed container for up to a week or freeze it for up to a month.
When ready to serve, evenly distribute half the raspberries among four wine goblets or martini glasses. Add a dollop of mousse to each, followed by a sprinkle of the mint, the remainder of the raspberries, and another dollop of mousse. (If you have more mousse than you need to serve four, the extra can be refrigerated or frozen). Top with more mint and shaved chocolate, if desired, and serve.
From the July 2008 issue of Shape magazine.