- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
Whisk egg, sugar, butter. Add flour alternately with milk in three additions, whisking to blend after each addition. Whisk in baking powder and salt.
Ladle into pan and cook until many bubbles form on the surface, then flip and cook until done.
Tips for success
- Use a whisk; it makes the pancakes even fluffier than using a fork.
- Use real butter. Enough said.
- You have to develop a “feel” for how thick the batter ought to look, according to your preference, and adjust the amount of milk accordingly.
- Get the pan quite hot so the hot air will make bigger air bubbles and thus fluffier pancakes.
- With the little bit of batter that’s always left over but never enough for a final pancake, drizzle into pan and cook until quite brown and crispy to make waffle-like treats.
From Bon Appétit Cookbook, “Giant Sunday Pancakes.”
Recipe also available at Surprised by Soy.