Oriental Sticky Braised Chicken
- 4 large chicken legs, skin removed
- 5 cm piece of fresh root ginger, thinly sliced
- 90 mL dry sherry
- 4 star annis
- 500 mL chicken stock
- 100 mL fresh or concentrated orange juice
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 3 tbsp chopped Thai basil leaves
- 2 tbsp roasted cashew nuts
- 2 lemongrass sticks, finely chopped
- 1 small red chili, chopped
- 3 tbsp ketchap manic (Indonesian soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp honey
To make marinade, mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Add chicken legs, mix well, and leave for 2 hours.
Remove chicken legs from marinade. Add a little oil to frying pan and heat. Add chicken legs, cook 4-5 mins until golden, then remove from pan.
Add ginger, sherry to the pan and boil 2 mins. Add the marinade and all the remaining ingredients except basil and cashews.
Cook over high heat 5-6 mins, then return chicken legs to the sauce. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 mins until sauce is reduced and sticky. Remove the star annis. Sprinkle with Thai basil and nuts.