Carrot ginger orange soup
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots (6-7 large carrots), peeled and sliced thin
- 2 cups chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 large strips of zest from an orange
- Chopped chives, parsley, dill or fennel for garnish
Melt the butter/oil in a soup pot over medium heat and cook the onions and carrot, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, about 5 to 8 minutes. Do not let the onions or carrots brown.
Add the stock and the ginger the strips of orange zest. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the carrots soften, about 20 minutes.
Remove the strips of orange zest and discard. Working in small batches, pour the soup into a blender and purée until completely smooth.
Garnish with chopped chives, parsley, or fennel fronds.
This is adapted (slightly) from a recipe I found on Simply Recipes. I didn't put any salt in. Usually the stock is salty enough.